Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WHO is afraid of a ROOSTER?

































































Back in the day.....  we had bantams that I called BANNIES...... we also had a HUGE Rooster that attacked me every time I filled his water up or fed them or checked for eggs...  He soon became chicken and dumplings.   We continued to have chickens off and on through out the years, but we never again had a rooster and we managed just fine. 
My dear friend Sandy gave me a pair of bannies and a pair of chickens.  I was quick to name the bantams Romeo and Juliet which Mercy and Madi upgraded
to James and Juliet.    Setting up the cage area for the bantams turned out to be more challenging than I originally thought. James has already flown the coop and even the yard. Mercy and Madi and I clipped wings and now we are good to go.

While preparing a home for the regular size Rooster and Hen, I realized the enormous weight of my new responsibilities and also... the thought of that huge Rooster living here was causing my neck to synch up and my tummy to turn.  

The Bantams are like Sandy's babies.  It means so much for her to share them with me.  Her huge chickens are not so close to her heart but she still cares for them.  It is so wonderful for her to give me a pair of real chickens...... another happy couple..... but this rooster is HUGE and intimidating...  but I have grown up ..... I can do this!

I could not shake the fear of this huge dominating beautiful red bird with his wonderful green feathers in his gorgeous tail.  I was getting nauseated just thinking about feeding him or gathering eggs....  OMG  I am such a baby!

I called my dear friend and chicken expert Frances in Lake Jackson.  She has had nice roosters and also the kind with one foot already in the pot (mean roosters) throughout the years.  While talking to her I realized that I was so afraid of this rooster and that it was ruining the joy of getting my life long prayer answered with these awesome chickens.  

I decided to let James be the rooster of the coop and forget about big red. I felt peace immediately.  All of the sudden my joy and excitement returned.

Mercedes helped me get the phone numbers to the local feed stores and I was able to find out that most of them were finished with pulletsand hens till next Easter.... DAD GUMMIT!

I found two that still had some, so we drove to the cheaper of the two.  The wonderful manager was so helpful, she even gave me a free chick. We ended up with 7 girl chicks.  


THREE BANTAMS  

2 owl looking bantams --brahma light or dark or hopefully one of each......not sure...






















1 black frizzle bantam..... she will end up with a curly black fro













FOUR HUGE EGG 
LAYERS

1 silver laced wyandotte












1 Ameraucanas lays green or blue eggs
 













1  Barred Rock 














1  Buff Orpington








www.idealpoultry.com

-- 

4 comments:

Beth said...

buff orpingtons are the best. mine are just starting to get their little combs. it's so cute.

Beth said...

oh and also, i didn't want a rooster at all. and i didn't get one. =) but all i'm interested in is eggs for eating - not so much for raising.

we decided that if one of my hens (when they get all grown up) gets broody, we'll get her some fertile eggs to sit on and let her raise the babies. and that's how will expand our flock.

but no roosters. =)

besides the meanness, i don't want to hear them crow....well, actually i don't want the neighbors to hear them crow. =)

Viking Granny!!!! said...

my little Romeo James has the sweetest crow

Frances said...

HI EVA