Somewhere in Dallas was a highway sign that said.....NO GAS IN HOUSTON (and other warnings)
Our trip was scheduled from September 10-17th. When we realized that we did not have any electricity we stayed 3 extra days. Richy and Jessica were great hosts.... grandkids were wonderful...... and then there was the Global Prayer Room. Of course we will stay..... Richy said as long as we cook clean and give back rubs we were welcome..... LOL
So we assumed the worse was over. Gloria had lights for days.... Cut n Shoot had lights for 48 hours.... but Jan was still in the dark. We had heard that parts of The Woodlands were still with out lights.... and parts of Conroe... but it was time to go home...
Regardless.. when we saw the warning about gas..... I thought they just hadn't taken all the signs down yet.... so.... after Dallas and Corsicana (last stop for Braun's Ice Cream) we stopped for gas at 2 different stations.... and they were all sold out..
Then we found one that only had super dooper unleaded available for 4.44 a gallon .... Forget that mess...
My gift from God car was gently reminding me that it was low on fuel and would only be able to make it a few more miles.....
I did start to feel a bit anxious I must admit. I called Robert to find out if Conroe was out of GAS too. He assured me that the town now had gas. He had to drive all the way to Huntsville days earlier and felt confidant that we would be fine if we could make it to HUNTSVILLE...and we did and we were.
But it was weird.... no gas.. dark..... three tired grouchy homeward bound Basement Babes.. full of Ice Cream and Fried Chicken, our beds were calling. We were so glad to be home again.. and things didn't look too bad in the dark at all.
The next morning when I went to get supplies.. I saw all the downed trees and damaged buildings.. I am so thankful that lives were spared. Reality once again set in... when I saw the lack of supplies at Wal-Mart... I went for hamburger and was grateful to get one of the 5 briskets that were left.
No comments:
Post a Comment